23andMe ("we", "23andMe" or "Company") may, from time to time, offer users of our service ("Service") the opportunity to refer friends to try the Service ("23andMe Referral Program" or "Program"). We reserve the right to terminate the Program at any time for any reason. The Program is administered on our behalf by Extole, Inc., 350 Sansome St., Suite 700, San Francisco, CA 94104, United States ("Service Provider") (together with 23andMe, the "Program Entities").
By participating in the Program, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and 23andMe's Terms of Service (www.23andme.com/about/tos/) (collectively, the "Terms"). If you do not agree to these Terms in their entirety you are not authorized to register as a Referrer (defined below) or participate in the Program in any manner. Users (defined below) may not participate in the Program where doing so would be prohibited by any applicable law or regulations.
We reserve the right to modify or amend at any time the Terms and the methods through which Rewards are earned. We reserve the right to disqualify any User at any time from participation in the Program if he/she does not comply with any of the Terms or such participation would be in violation of applicable law.
Children. No part of the Program is directed to persons under the age of 18. IF YOU ARE UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAM. PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS THE PROGRAM AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER.
Healthcare professionals. No part of the Program is directed to any healthcare professional. IF YOU ARE A HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE PROGRAM. PLEASE DO NOT USE OR ACCESS THE PROGRAM AT ANY TIME OR IN ANY MANNER.
1. Privacy. Individuals may participate in the Program to recommend services or content made available by Company to their friends, family or colleagues. To do this, individuals must necessarily submit personal information about themselves and their friends, family members or colleagues, such as name and e-mail address information ("Contact Information"), so that the Company can send these recommendations on their behalf. Individuals must not provide Company with personal information about their friends, family members or colleagues without the express or implied consent of those friends, family members or colleagues. Contact Information will be collected, processed and used in accordance with Company's Privacy Statement, which can be found at https://www.23andme.com/privacy/. In addition, an individual's Contact Information may be used by Company to contact individuals regarding their participation in the Program and to receive communications from Company. If an individual provides Contact Information about its friends, family members or colleagues to receive communications via the Program, the provided Contact Information will be used by the Company to send these communications on behalf of the individual and the individual understands that Company may (if permitted by applicable law) send out additional follow-up communications on behalf of the individual to encourage or remind the friends, family members or colleagues to complete the purchase or registration process.
2. How the Program Works.
Program Participation To participate in the Program, visit refer.23andme.com in the United States ("US") or refer.23andme.ca in Canada, and follow the on-screen instructions to refer friends, family members or colleagues to the Service by entering their email addresses in the "Refer A Friend" box. In the US and in Canada, Users may refer an unlimited number of friends, family members or colleagues during the Program. Individuals who refer are called "Referrers." Individuals who receive such referral are called "Referred Customers." "User" means any person using the Program and includes, without limitation, Referrers and Referred Customers.
Eligible Referrer To be eligible, a Referrer must: be a legal resident of the US or Canada and be at least 18 years old. Employees of the Company, Service Provider or any of its or their subsidiaries, affiliates or promotional agencies, including immediate family and household members, are not eligible to participate in the Program. Healthcare professionals also are not eligible to participate in the Program.
Eligible Referred Customers In Canada, Referred Customers must have a personal or family relationship with Referrer. A "personal relationship" means the Referrer's friends and colleagues who the Referrer knows well and with whom the Referrer has had interactive, direct, voluntary communications. A "family relationship" means the Referrer's relative through marriage, common-law partnership or any legal parent-child relationship and with whom the Referrer is in contact. In Canada, Referrers are prohibited from sending invitations or referral messages through the Program to any individual with whom they do not have a personal or family relationship. If it is determined that a Referred Customer does not have a personal or family relationship with Referrer, Referrer shall not be eligible for any credits and, at 23andMe's discretion, may be required to refund all credits issued to Referrer.
Making a Referral An individual must register for the Program to make a referral; no purchase is required. Once an individual refers a friend, family member or colleague, he/she becomes a Referrer and will be provided with a unique referral link ("Personal Link") that allows the Referrer to receive credit for Qualified Referrals ("Credit"). Personal Links will be issued only to individuals. Each Referrer will also be provided with a unique and personal Company "Refer-a-Friend" page or account to view the status of his/her Qualified Referrals and manage his/her account. Referrers must respect the spirit of the Program by only referring individuals who meet the requirements of these Terms. Referrers cannot refer themselves. Referrers shall not create multiple or fake accounts with the Company or participate in the Program using multiple or fake email addresses or identities.
Qualified Referrals A Qualified Referral means that all the following conditions are met:
- The Referred Customer completed the purchase process with the Service using the Referrer's Personal Link. If a Referred Customer purchases or registers with the Service using any other link or method, the registration will not count as a Qualified Referral and the Referrer will not earn Credit;
- The Referred Customer was not previously registered with the Service under Referred Enrollee’s email address or alias;
- The Referred Customer is a) a legal resident of the United States orCanada and b) at least 18 years old; and
- The Referred Customer does not cancel the order and is shipped a kit from the Company.
Earning Rewards Referrer, based on the Referrer’s country of residence, shall receive the following Reward for each Qualified Referral, regardless of the number of kits or purchases made by the Referred Customer, unless otherwise specified below:
- In the US, for a referral of a Health + Ancestry Personal Genetic Service, Reward valued at twenty dollars (US$20);.
- In the US, for a referral of an Ancestry + Traits Personal Genetic Service, Reward valued at ten dollars (US$10);.
- In Canada, Reward valued at twenty dollars (CAD$20);.
- At the Company's sole discretion, Reward denomination may be different during special promotional periods.
Referred Friends and Family Discount Referred friends and family will receive 10% off any kit purchased using the referral link, unless a higher offer is available on 23andme.com, in which case the higher discount will apply. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. In the US, Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Except as required by law, Amazon.com Gift Cards ("GCs") cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash. GCs may be used only for purchases of eligible goods at Amazon.com or certain of its affiliated websites. For complete terms and conditions, see www.amazon.com/gc-legal. GCs are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation. All Amazon ®,™ & © are IP of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. No expiration date or service fees. In Canada, Amazon.com.ca, Inc. is not a sponsor of this promotion. Except as required by law, Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Gift Cards ("GCs") cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash. GCs may be used for purchases of eligible goods on Amazon.ca or certain of its affiliated websites. For complete terms and conditions, see www.amazon.ca/gc-legal. GCs are issued by Amazon.com.ca, Inc., a Delaware corporation. ©, ®, ™ Amazon.com.ca, Inc. and/or its affiliates. No expiration date or service fees.
Verification of Qualified Referrals Rewards are subject to verification. The Company may delay a Reward for the purposes of investigation. The Company may also refuse to verify and process any transaction the Company deems, in its sole discretion, to be fraudulent, suspicious, in violation of these Terms, or believes may impose liability on Company, its subsidiaries, affiliates or any of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents. All of the Company's decisions are final and binding, including decisions as to whether a Qualified Referral, Credit or Reward is verified.
Transfer and Value of Credit and Rewards Credit and Rewards have no monetary value and may not be redeemed for cash with 23andMe. Credit and Rewards are not transferable and may not be auctioned, traded, bartered or sold. Upon termination of the Program or any portion thereof for any reason, or upon cancellation of a Referrer's 23andMe referral account for any reason, any unredeemed Credit and Rewards accumulated by the Referrer are forfeited.
3. Content Ownership and Use. The online platform and the Program contain contents that may include designs, text, graphics, images, video, information, logos, button icons, audio files, computer code, and other content (collectively, "Content"). As between the User and the Company, all Content is the property of the Company or its licensors and is protected under copyright, trademark, and other laws. The compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement, and assembly) of all Content on the online platform or Program is the exclusive property of the Company and is protected by copyright, trademark, and other laws.
License to You The Company authorizes you, subject to the Terms, to access and use the online platform, Program, and the Content solely for your personal, non-commercial use, for the sole purpose of referring friends, family members and colleagues to the Company, in accordance with the Terms. This license is revocable at any time without notice and with or without cause. Unauthorized use of the Content may violate copyright, trademark, and applicable communications, regulations, and statutes and is strictly prohibited. You must preserve all copyright, trademarks, service marks, and other proprietary notices contained in the original Content on any copy you make of it.
Trademarks The registered or unregistered logos, product and service names are or may be trademarks of the Company or its licensors (the "Marks"). Without the Company's prior written permission, and except as solely enabled by any link as provided by the Company or in accordance with the limited license set forth above, you agree not to display or use in any manner the Marks.
4. Liability By participating in the Program, Users agree to:
- be bound by these Terms and Conditions, the decisions of the Company and their designees (including the Service Provider), and the Terms of Service and Privacy Statement of the Company;
- defend, indemnify, release and hold harmless the Company, its Service Provider and its or their respective parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries, together with their respective employees, directors, officers, licensees, licensors, shareholders, lawyers and agents including, without limitation, their respective advertising and promotion entities and any person or entity associated with the production, operation or administration of the Program (collectively, the "Released Parties"), from any and all claims, actions, demands, damages, losses, liabilities, costs or expenses caused by, arising out of, in connection with, or related to their participation in the Program (including, without limitation, any property loss, damage, personal injury or death caused to any person(s) and/or the awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of the Program or any Reward); and
- be contacted by the Company via e-mail; please note that in order to receive Rewards via e-mail, Referrers in Canada must opt-in to be contacted by the Company via e-mail. Users may unsubscribe from receiving emails for the Program at any time, using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email received.
- late, lost, delayed, stolen, misdirected, incomplete, unreadable, inaccurate, unreliable, garbled or unintelligible entries, communications or affidavits, regardless of the method of transmission;
- telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors;
- data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials;
- any injuries, losses or damages of any kind resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a Reward, or from participation in the Program, that were not reasonably foreseeable to the Company at the relevant time;
- any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any websites or materials associated with the Program; or
- claims, demands, and damages in disputes among Users of the Program.
Disclaimer of Warranties USERS EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT: (A) USE OF THE PROGRAM IS AT THEIR SOLE RISK, THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS AND THE COMPANY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS AND TERMS (COLLECTIVELY, "PROMISES") OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED BY STATUTE, COMMON LAW OR CUSTOM, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES AS TO PRODUCTS OR SERVICES OFFERED THROUGH THE USE OF THE PROGRAM, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT; (B) THE COMPANY MAKES AND GIVES NO WARRANTY THAT (i) THE PROGRAM WILL MEET USERS' REQUIREMENTS, (ii) BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (iii) THE RESULTS OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE PROGRAM WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, (iv) THE QUALITY OF ANY PRODUCTS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR OTHER MATERIAL OBTAINED BY USER THROUGH THE PROGRAM WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS, AND (v) ANY ERRORS IN THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED; AND (C) ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE PROGRAM IS ACCESSED AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR MOBILE DEVICE OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
Limitation of Liability and Indemnification SOME JURISDICTIONS (AND IN CANADA SOME PROVINCES, SUCH AS QUEBEC), DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE FOLLOWING LIMITATIONS IN THIS PARAGRAPH MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE COMPANY, INCLUDING ANY VENDORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS ASSOCIATED WITH OR ASSISTING IN PROVIDING THE PROGRAM, SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF THE COMPANY WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES), RESULTING FROM: (i) THE USE OR THE INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM; (ii) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS, DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTIONS ENTERED INTO THROUGH, FROM, OR AS A RESULT OF THE PROGRAM; (iii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; (iv) STATEMENTS OR CONDUCT OF ANY THIRD PARTY ON OR THROUGH THE PROGRAM; OR (v) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE PROGRAM. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT POSSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW LAW, THE COMPANY'S, INCLUDING ANY VENDORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS, MAXIMUM LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE PROGRAM, REGARDLESS OF THE CAUSE OF ACTION (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, BREACH OF WARRANTY, OR OTHERWISE), WILL NOT EXCEED US$100 IN THE US or CAD$100 IN CANADA. Users participate in and use the Program at their own risk.
5. Conduct. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Program after the occurrence of prohibited conduct, we reserve the right to cancel, change, or suspend the Program.
Prohibited Conduct, Generally Users agree not to use the Program to, or otherwise:
- Violate applicable law or these Terms;
- Infringe the intellectual property rights of the Company, its Service Provider or any third parties;
- Stalk, harass, or harm another individual;
- Use any mark, name or domain name of any type which is confusingly similar to 23andMe, Personal Genome Service, PGS, Personal Genetic Service or Company's other Marks, or bid on or purchase any word, keyword, search term or other identifier on any pay-per-click search engines that contains 23andMe's Marks or Content;
- Make any inaccurate or untruthful statements about the Company or its services;
- Employ Toolbars and Downloadable Software Applications (DSAs), or facilitate auto-redirection from third party toolbars;
- Collect or store personal data about other Users;
- Impersonate any person or otherwise misrepresent User's identity;
- Interfere with, disrupt or violate the servers or networks connected to the Program; or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies, or regulations of such networks;
- Interfere with another User's use of the Program;
- Attempt to gain unauthorized access to the Program, other accounts, computer systems, or networks connected to the Program;
- Transmit any file that contains viruses, worms, Trojan horses, or any other contaminating or destructive features;
- Conduct any illegal activity or solicit the performance of any illegal activity or other activity that infringes the rights of others;
- Resell Company's products or services (and any attempt to do so shall be void and Company shall invalidate any such services); or
- Resell, barter, trade, auction or otherwise generate income by providing access to the Program to others.
- Promote 23andMe or place referral links on any site that includes adult content or discriminatory content; promote 23andMe or place referral links near other ads or links that lead to such content; or link to or include other inappropriate content, each as determined in 23andMe’s sole discretion.
In the US, bulk email distribution, distribution to strangers, or any other promotion of a Personal Link in a manner that would constitute or appear to constitute unsolicited commercial email or "spam" in the Company's sole discretion is expressly prohibited and may be grounds for immediate termination of the Referrer's account and deactivation of the Personal Link. We have a no tolerance spam policy.
In Canada, bulk email distribution, distribution to persons with whom the Referrer does not have a personal or family relationship, or any other promotion of a Personal Link in a manner that would constitute or appear to constitute unsolicited commercial email or "spam" in the Company's sole discretion is expressly prohibited and may be grounds for immediate termination of the Referrer's account and deactivation of the Personal Link. We have a no tolerance spam policy.
The Company has no obligation to monitor the content provided by Users; however, the Company may choose to do so and block any email messages, remove any such content, or prohibit any use of the Program. Each Referrer is the actual sender of the emails and must comply with applicable law. Referrers who do not comply with the law, including anti-spam laws (e.g. in Canada, Canada's Anti-Spam Law), are obligated to indemnify the Program Entities against any liabilities, costs and expenses it incurs as a results of such spam.
Fraudulent and Suspicious Behavior The Company may prohibit a User from participating in the Program or receiving a Credit or Reward, in their sole discretion, if they determine such User is attempting to undermine the fairness, integrity or legitimate operation of the Program in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other users or representatives of the Company. Use of any automated system, script, or macro to participate is strictly prohibited and will result in disqualification. Users may not enter with multiple or fake emails addresses or accounts, use fictitious identities or use any system, bot or other device or artifice to participate in the Program or receive a Reward. The Company reserves the right to disqualify any User and/or cancel any Reward(s) if they find a User to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Program or violating these Terms. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROGRAM MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
6. Suggestions and Submissions. The Company appreciates hearing from Users and welcomes your comments regarding the Program. Please be advised, however, that the Company does not accept or consider creative ideas, suggestions, inventions, or materials ("creative ideas") other than those which we have specifically requested. While the Company values your feedback on the Program, please be specific in your comments and do not submit creative ideas. If, despite this request, you send the Company creative ideas, the Company:
- Shall own, exclusively, all now known or later discovered rights to the creative ideas;
- Shall not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality and shall not be liable for any use or disclosure of any creative ideas; and
- Shall be entitled to unrestricted use of the creative ideas for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without compensation to you or any other person.
8. Applicable Law; Arbitration; Class Waiver; and Waiver of Jury Trial. Any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or related to the Program or any prize awarded shall be resolved under California law (without reference to its conflicts of laws principles), and Users agree to submit any dispute to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in Santa Clara County, California, unless otherwise required by law. Unless prohibited by law, Users agree to submit to the personal and exclusive arbitration of any disputes arising out of, connected with or relating to the Program and participation in the Program, including these Terms, under the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Any such arbitration, to the extent necessary, shall be conducted within Santa Clara County in the state of California. Unless prohibited by law, Users covenant not to sue the Program Entities in any other forum. In Canada, some provinces, such as Québec, may not permit a consumer to agree in advance to arbitration in a consumer agreement, waive the right to a jury trial or waive a right to be a representative plaintiff in or participate in a class action. Unless prohibited by law, Users also acknowledge and understand that, with respect to any dispute with the Released Parties arising out of, connected with or relating to the Program and participation in the Program: USERS ARE GIVING UP THEIR RIGHT TO HAVE A TRIAL BY JURY; and USERS ARE GIVING UP THEIR RIGHT TO SERVE AS A REPRESENTATIVE PLAINTIFF OR TO SUE IN ANY OTHER REPRESENTATIVE CAPACITY, OR TO PARTICIPATE AS A MEMBER OF A CLASS OF CLAIMANTS, IN ANY LAWSUIT INVOLVING ANY SUCH DISPUTE.
9. General Terms These Terms constitute the entire agreement between Users and the Company concerning Users' participation in or use of the Program. The failure of the Company to exercise or enforce any right or provision of these Terms shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of these Terms is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties' intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of these Terms remain in full force and effect. The section titles in these Terms are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. A person who is not a party to these Terms shall have no right to enforce or receive the benefit of any of these Terms. Participation in the Program does not constitute an employment, broker or agency relationship between User and Company nor does it create any partnership, joint venture, franchise or sales representative relationship between the parties.
* Amazon.com is not a sponsor of this promotion. Except as required by law, Amazon.com Gift Cards ("GCs") cannot be transferred for value or redeemed for cash. GCs may be used only for purchases of eligible goods at Amazon.com or certain of its affiliated websites. For complete terms and conditions, see www.amazon.com/gc-legal. GCs are issued by ACI Gift Cards, Inc., a Washington corporation. All Amazon ®,™ & © are IP of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. No expiration date or service fees.